Re: minutes: HTML WG Weekly 21 May 2009 [draft]

On Sun, May 24, 2009 at 5:08 AM, Maciej Stachowiak <mjs@apple.com> wrote:

> On May 24, 2009, at 3:50 AM, Sam Ruby wrote:
>

>> I agree that it was a lopsided vote.
>>
>> I agree that there was an intent to publish as a Note, but disagree with
>> any implication that it constituted a commitment or a decision to ultimately
>> publish as a Note, in particular I disagree that it was a decision that
>> would need to be reversed.
>>
>> I disagree that the conference call is "informal", but I agree that
>> further discussion is warranted.
>
> Let me put it this way. I think if we want to make a decision as a WG not to
> publish any further Working Drafts, and not to aim to publish as a Note, I
> think that decision should be taken as seriously as the decision to publish
> in the first place.
>
> I think discussion on a single conference call, where abandoning the Design
> Principles document was not even an agenda item (though other Design
> Principles discussion was), and when there had been no mailing list
> discussion of doing so, does not constitute an adequate process for
> assessing consensus.

I agree with Maciej. Last decision that was taken with regards to the
design principles was to do more than just publish it as a WD. If
we're going to reverse that decision then that requires more than just
a discussion on a conference call. Especially since this WG is
chartered to allow asynchronous participation in all decisions.

Further, I think it would be a great loss to loose having the design
principles to back our work. We have been able to avoid a lot of rat
holes and unproductive conversations thanks to them.

I guess Ian can always continue to follow the design principles for
the document he is producing while others can choose not to. However I
think that would be a loss for those specs.

/ Jonas