Re: HTML 4 Profile for RDFa

From: Julian Reschke <julian.reschke@gmx.de>
Date: Sat, 23 May 2009 20:56:03 +0200
To: Shane McCarron <shane@aptest.com>
CC: Philip Taylor <pjt47@cam.ac.uk>, Sam Ruby <rubys@intertwingly.net>, RDFa Community <public-rdfa@w3.org>, "public-rdf-in-xhtml-tf.w3.org" <public-rdf-in-xhtml-tf@w3.org>, HTML WG <public-html@w3.org>
Shane McCarron wrote:
> Julian Reschke wrote:
>>
>> It's clear that if RDFa is to be used with prefix declarations done
>> with xmlns, then mixing uppercase and lowercase declarations is not
>> going to work.
>>
>> I think restricting prefixes to be lower-case (insert proper Unicode
>> terminology here) would be acceptable; it's easy to live with, and
>> avoids introducing yet another prefix declaration mechanism.
> I would not be opposed to adding text in the RDFa in HTML definition
> like "prefix names SHOULD be defined in lower-case to help ensure
> maximum portability among parsers, since it is common for DOM-based
> parsers to not preserve the case of attribute names."
>
> I don't see there being any need to change the definition of XML-based
> languages like RDFa for XHTML.  After all, in XML case is preserved.  Or
> is ot someone's goal that documents be able to be parsed as EITHER XML
> or HTML?  It's not my goal.  If I define a document using an HTML family

I know Sam wants that. But if there's a simple way to achieve this, such
as only using lower-case prefixes, that should be totally sufficient...

BR, Julian