Re: fieldset: a CSS block formatting context?

Anyone know if any progress has been made in defining/explaining why
<legend> is still visible outside the boundaries of the <fieldset>
even if the fieldset is set to overflow:hidden?

I ask because I've always found it silly that  overflow:hidden is the
most convenient way to tell a block to expand/surround its floating
children.

I think what I'd most like to know is if there will ever be an
official css attribute specifically for telling a block element to
expand/surround its floating children.

Anyone have an answer for me?

On Feb 21, at 9:59 AM, Daniel Schattenkirchner wrote:

> For the rendering section I suggest defining fieldset to be a block
> formatting context as defined in CSS 2.1. It is treated that way in
> Firefox, IE (8 and earlier), Opera and in Safari partially as well.
>
> This means for example, that the fieldset's outer vertical margins
> do not collapse with its in-flow children's margins (Safari is the
> exception here, if it wasn't fixed in their trunk already).
>
> ~ds

::   thyme online ltd
::   po box ap 59223-317  nassau,  the bahamas
::   website: http://www.thymeonline.com/
::   tel: +1 242 677-5733