Re: microdata use cases and Getting data out of poorly written Web pages

From: Ben Adida <ben@adida.net>
Date: Thu, 14 May 2009 07:21:36 -0700
To: Henri Sivonen <hsivonen@iki.fi>
CC: public-html@w3.org
Henri Sivonen wrote:
> Furthermore, according to Hixie, Yahoo! treats prefix as meaningful
> (http://lists.w3.org/Archives/Public/public-rdf-in-xhtml-tf/2009Mar/0100.html),
> which is evidence *against* prefix-based indirection doing just fine.

Well, yes, according to Hixie.

Except, as I already responded, this was a bug in one of Yahoo's
user-facing pages they had, not in the actual RDFa parser they use for
their actual SearchMonkey pages (which is, in fact, based on one of the
RDFa task force's parsers.)

My point remains: there have been long, verbose claims of namespace
aware vs. non-namespace aware API calls, how it will require browser
changes, etc... and in practice, *it doesn't matter*. If browsers choose
not to fix this, RDFa parsers can address this with *one* "if" statement.

I have trouble seeing these so-called problems you raise as anything
more than theoretical. In all of the actual RDFa implementations to
date, no one's complained.

-Ben