Re: microdata use cases and Getting data out of poorly written Web pages

From: Philip Taylor <pjt47@cam.ac.uk>
Date: Wed, 13 May 2009 19:03:33 +0100
To: Ben Adida <ben@adida.net>
CC: public-html@w3.org
Ben Adida wrote:
> Ian's microdata proposal uses <link> in the body of an HTML page:
>
> http://dev.w3.org/html5/spec/Overview.html#the-link-element
>
> We tried that with RDFa, but during testing, we realized that Firefox
> repositions <link> to within <head> in text/html mode, so we spent weeks
> tweaking RDFa, testing and re-testing. I think this is a prime example
> of the effort we made to be text/html compatible.
>
> Does HTML5 intend to break with existing browser mechanisms for handling
> <link> and <meta>? I thought HTML5 was trying to standardize
> pre-existing error behaviors.

That behaviour seems to have changed in Firefox 3. Testing with
<http://software.hixie.ch/utilities/js/live-dom-viewer/?%3C!DOCTYPE%20html%3E%0Atest%0A%3Clink%20itemprop%3Dx%20href%3Dx%3E%0A%3Cmeta%20itemprop%3Dx%20content%3Dx%3E%0A>
indicates:

* <link> is moved to head by FF 2.0, Safari 3.2
* <link> stays in body in FF 3.0, Chrome 2.0, IE6, IE8, Opera 10
* <meta> is moved to head by FF 2.0, FF 3.0, Safari 3.2, Chrome 2.0
* <meta> stays in body in IE6, IE8, Opera 10

(FF 3.5 seems to match FF 3.0. Haven't tested WebKit nightlies. HTML5
says everything should stay in body.)

--
Philip Taylor
pjt47@cam.ac.uk