Re: ACTION-103, was: Registering the about: URI scheme

From: Julian Reschke <julian.reschke@gmx.de>
Date: Sat, 09 May 2009 11:27:28 +0200
To: Joseph A Holsten <joseph@josephholsten.com>
CC: Lachlan Hunt <lachlan.hunt@lachy.id.au>, public-html <public-html@w3.org>
Joseph A Holsten wrote:
> Apologies, I've let my final semester stand in the way of my obligation
> to all of you. I've been in contact with the IETF, and resubmitted the
> updated draft today. I screwed up some dates, versions in the draft, but
> the current submission should be accepted and ready for uri review. I'll
> be pushing the draft into uri-review as soon as I hear back from the
> IETF secretary.

Thanks for the update!

> I agree, but that means that about: can't be standardized until HTML is
> standardized. Unless about: has no HTML-specific origin policy at all,
> this section is just going to beg questions.
>
> Since about: is really designed for application-local resources, it
> seems reasonable to leave origin policy to more application oriented
> specs. Of course, since the only apps that actually implement about:
> uris are browsers, that's just a pedantic strawman.
>
> So the frame becomes, is it worthwhile to have an application agnostic
> position? If so, is it possible to spec the origin policy free of HTML5,
> or should it say nothing? Otherwise, how does the spec remove reference
> to a changing HTML5 spec without cramping HTML's style?

If the "about:" URI scheme can not be standardized without a normative
reference to the HTML spec, then a simples approach is to move the
registration into the HTML spec.

That being said, it should be possible to split the discussion of syntax
and semantics of a about: URI from the processing requirements inside a UA.

BR; Julian