Re: Times, dates, and related topics

From: Jens Meiert <jens@meiert.com>
Date: Tue, 5 May 2009 22:40:49 +0200
To: Smylers@stripey.com
Cc: public-html@w3.org
> > Thus, I think we can expect authors to use “time” for stuff like
> > and maybe even <time>yesterday</time>.
>
> Does that matter?

Well, I think it’s at least interesting that we’re so keen to include
elements like e.g. “header” and “footer” to reflect common practice,
but might fail anticipating future common practice when it comes to
other elements.

> Following the current spec, the preferred markup for each of the above
> is simply not to use any tags at all -- which is effectively how user
> agents will treat them anyway, since no valid date or time can be parsed
> from them.  So users get the same experience either way.

Actually, I’d rather take that as a point to remove the “time” element
from the spec (which is not what I wanted to suggest). “Semantic
fuzziness” of certain elements has already been a problem with former
HTML specifications.

--
Jens Meiert
http://meiert.com/en/