Re: <link> and <param> in SVG (SVG ACTION-2534)

From: Jonas Sicking <jonas@sicking.cc>
Date: Mon, 4 May 2009 13:09:38 -0700
To: Doug Schepers <schepers@w3.org>
Cc: "public-html@w3.org" <public-html@w3.org>, www-svg <www-svg@w3.org>
>>>  2) we add a new element, like<link>, to SVG (I've already shown that
>>> this
>>>  sometimes works when the<link>  is in the XHTML NS [1], but that isn't
>>>  specified anywhere, and isn't intuitive)
>>
>> If you do add this (which I think you should), it'd be nice if
>> <svg:link>  and<html:link>  was compatible in more areas other than
>> just linking to stylesheets.
>
> Yes, we intend for them to be more or less the same in terms of syntax and
> functionality.  What specifically did you have in mind?

The following values seems to have special meaning in firefox for the
rel attribute:

rel=feed or rel=alternate, specifies location for feed (such as RSS/Atom)

rel=icon, speficies location for urlbar/bookmark icon

rel=search, search engine available on the page

rel=prefetch, url to download in the background, such as for
precaching resources for the current page or page user is likely to be
navigating to.

rel=next, same implementation as rel=prefetch in firefox, however has
a different semantic meaning.

rel=dns-prefetch, dns names to resolve

There might be more. I think "prev" and "home" are also defined
somewhere, but we don't currently have an implementation for it in
firefox. We did at one point use these (and rel=next) to provide
buttons in the UI for quick navigation, however these were removed for
various reasons.

/ Jonas