Re: Translation control in HTML5

From: Julian Reschke <julian.reschke@gmx.de>
Date: Fri, 01 May 2009 15:15:40 +0200
To: Yves Savourel <yves@opentag.com>
CC: 'Felix Sasaki' <felix.sasaki@fh-potsdam.de>, ian@hixie.ch, hsivonen@iki.fi, public-i18n-its-ig@w3.org, public-html@w3.org
Yves Savourel wrote:
> Hi Julian, all,
>
>> Also, the relation itself should be generic enough to be used with
>> different formats, ITS being just one of them; thus I'd call it
>> something like "translationrules".
>
> After some discussion at out last teleconference, the question came to why this relation should be generic?

There's some discussion of having a single relation registry for HTML,
Atom, HTTP Link Headers, and other specs. This is currently proposed in
Mark Nottingham's "Web Linking" Internet-Draft, and that states:

"Commonly-used relation types with a clear meaning that are shared
across applications can be registered as tokens for convenience and to
promote reuse. For example, "self" and "alternate" are registered
relation types, because they are broadly useful." --
<http://greenbytes.de/tech/webdav/draft-nottingham-http-link-header-05.html#rfc.section.4.1>

BR, Julian