Re: Shrinking HTML5 some more — Anne’s Weblog

On Mon, 30 Mar 2009 10:32:51 +0200, Julian Reschke <julian.reschke@gmx.de>
wrote:
> Anne van Kesteren wrote:
>>  Per http://lists.w3.org/Archives/Public/www-style/2005May/0022.html
>> the main importance is documents encoded in Windows-1258 written in
>> Vietnamese, but it does not elaborate on why that is so. (Or why making
>
> It sounds like this is an edge case, in that that encoding could
> potentially contain decomposed characters, which would be mapped to a
> sequence of decomposed Unicode characters when the mapping is done in
> the most simple way.

Yes, but because of that edge case the specification has this silly
requirement which affects all non-Unicode encodings. Decomposed characters
are easy to get using character escapes.

>> IRIs work for that encoding was important but making them work for
>> HTML, CSS, etc. was not.)
>
> I'd say they work just fine; you just need to preprocess them.

The preprocessing you need to do involves converting the input to a URI
which seems highly suboptimal.

> And also, the work-in-progress revision of RFC 3987 already addresses
> this (at least partly), by introducing LEIRIs
> (<http://tools.ietf.org/html/draft-duerst-iri-bis-05#section-7>).

LEIRIs are not a solution.

--
Anne van Kesteren