Re: Naming of <header>

James Graham wrote:
> The <header> element's name seems to be creating some considerable
> confusion, with authors either assuming it designed to be used for all
> page header content or that it is designed to replace <h1>-<h6> and be a
> generic heading element (e.g. [1], [2] and note that these are the tiny
> fraction of people who are motivated to ask about these things upfront).
> Almost no one seems to guess that it is supposed to be used for grouping
> multiple heading/subheadings into an overall heading. This implies that
> it will be poorly used in practice and so UAs will not be able to
> reliably implement e.g. the outline algorithm since it will give
> unexpected results on real sites.

The name of the element was based on common class names and IDs used by
authors for similar purposes, which can be seen by looking at the
results of surveys.

http://www.stuffandnonsense.co.uk/archives/naming_conventions_table.html
http://code.google.com/webstats/2005-12/classes.html

Looking at sites that actually use the header element, there doesn't
really seem to be significant confusion.  I took a look at many of the
sites listed by HTML5 Gallery, and of those using <header>, I didn't see
any using it wrongly.

http://html5gallery.com/

--
Lachlan Hunt - Opera Software