Re: SVG in text/html

Hi all,

I personally would prefer a stricter error handling for SVG. Lets not
forget that SVG is used on a lot of applications and places besides the
web:

* Publishing workflows with XSL-FO
* Desktop Environments (such as KDE4)
* Application development (such as qt-software)
* Settop boxes
* Game consoles
* HMI for industrial devices
* Multimedia display systems
* mobile phones
* Picture Frames
* Graphics Exchange formats (e.g. between Inkscape, Scribus, Gimp, Google
Docs (and hopefully Openoffice some day))

and a lot more. SVG is not just about web browsers. There is also average
Joe the programmer who probably wants to parse SVG for his own purposes
some day. If SVG is strict XML, this is so much easier.

If webbrowsers start to accept crappy SVG syntax it will encourage the
spread of crappy SVG content and thus force the other developers, users
and applications besides webbrowser to also parse invalid syntaxes.

It would be more productive for developers of SVG viewers/software to
concentrate on implementing the spec and improving performance than having
to deal with parsing issues.

I understand that webbrowsers have these quirk modes already implemented
for HTML and could thus adopt similar mechanisms to SVG - but I don't
think they are doing SVG a favour with this move.

Just my two cents,
Andreas

--
Andreas Neumann