Re: ISSUE-64: web-sockets-scope-req

From: Rob Sayre <rsayre@mozilla.com>
Date: Thu, 26 Mar 2009 20:27:32 -0700
To: "Michael(tm) Smith" <mike@w3.org>
CC: public-html@w3.org
On 3/26/09 8:10 PM, Michael(tm) Smith wrote:
> Rob Sayre<rsayre@mozilla.com>, 2009-03-26 16:59 -0700:
>

>>   Something like Web Sockets is explicitly mentioned in the charter. I would
>>   like the issue updated to reflect this reality.
>>

> Updated in what way? Do you mean the text of the description field
> should be changed? If so, do you have some proposed text?

Here's some text from the issue:

 >>> Web Sockets API: in scope?

The charter places it in scope. No need for a question.

 >>> requirement? coordination
 >>> Is this something the WG supports as a requirement for this
release? Who is interested in contributing test materials for web sockets?

An obnoxiously literal reading could exclude this capability as a hard
requirement, but such a reading would also preclude accepting a solution
developed in the IETF.

I claim that the spirit of the charter assigns the HTML WG to develop a
solution if an acceptable solution does not emerge from elsewhere in a
timely fashion.

- Rob