Re: SVG as Root (was: SVG Feedback on HTML5 SVG Proposal)

On Wed, 11 Mar 2009 15:28:25 +0100, Robin Berjon <robin@berjon.com> wrote:

> On Mar 11, 2009, at 01:58 , Doug Schepers wrote:
>> Personally, I agree with you here.  But I don't have any grand
>> suggestion for fixing the case where SVG is served with the wrong
>> MIME Type, or where authors got lazy or made some other mistake.
>> Does your current proposal deal with this, and if so, how?
>
> I would propose deferring any decision on this until we've reached
> agreement on how SVG inside HTML behaves. That way there's a chance
> that we could simply decide that if SVG if served as text/html then it
> ought to be treated in the exact same way as any HTML element that
> might appear at the root of the document.

Right, as can be seen in the latest proposal[1] this particular case has not been addressed, or in other words an svg element found before the body would behave as any other element found before the body. It's been suggested that a bit of CSS can be used to "fix" the sizing issues that arise, and it may well be that that's a good enough solution.

[1] http://dev.w3.org/SVG/proposals/svg-html/html5-mod.html

Co-Chair, W3C SVG Working Group