Re: Load event and <video>

On Fri, 20 Mar 2009 03:55:51 +0100, Robert O'Callahan <robert@ocallahan.org> wrote:

> Yes. Generally the load event fires when the layout of the document is
> "stable".

Makes sense.

> Perhaps the spec should be changed to suggest that UAs not stall the
> download while the element is delaying the load event ... although it's
> kind
> of obvious if you ask me.

Ok. However, on mobile at least, we might want to stall before knowing the dimensions.

> We were thinking that if there's a poster image then when the poster
> image
>> has loaded we can stop delayig the load event without downloading any
>> video
>> data at all (even though the video dimensions might be different -- if
>> they
>> are different then that's the author's fault).
>

> That sounds reasonable to me. We'd want the spec to say that while the
> poster image is being displayed, the intrinsic dimensions of the video
> element are the dimensions of the image.

Even if you know the dimensions of the video? Wouldn't you want to resize to the video's real dimensions as soon as possible? (The spec allows the poster image to be shown even when video data is available.)

> We'd also want the spec to say
> that
> if there is a poster image, then we stop delaying the load event when the
> poster image has finished loading.

Yep.

> On a related note, I think Opera doesn't download images that are
>> display:none or visibility:hidden or maybe have 0 height and width. Such
>> images don't delay the load event. Maybe the spec should allow this?
>>

> Gecko doesn't download images at all for display:none but does (and
> delays
> the load event) for visibility:hidden and zero-size images.

Ok.

--
Simon Pieters
Opera Software