Re: an interoperable object (fallback and context menus)

Leif Halvard Silli wrote:
> What is a UA supposed to do if the file suffix is ".png", the Web server
> also tells that the file is "image/png" - while the type attribute says
> "image/GIF"?

The type attribute and file suffix are irrelevant if the server sends a
type.  What matters is the HTTP header in this case.

That said, what it means in practice is that the UA will hand it over to
its image library which will proceed to sniff the magic number of the image.

If this is an image in a format supported by the UA, it'll get shown as
an image.

> I would perhaps expect that the UA would display the fallback instead.

Er... why?

> I noticed that in Firefox 2, QuickTime was handling the <object
> data="objectImage"> case, hence I concluded ...

Note that the <object> code in Gecko was rewritted after Firefox 2.

-Boris