Re: View Source

Rick wrote:
> On Wed, Mar 18, 2009 at 4:09 AM, David Woolley
> <forums@david-woolley.me.uk> wrote:
>> Rick wrote:
>>
>>> Try filing feature requests.  If someone implements it, and it turns
>>> out to be as good a thing as it seems, other UA's will follow.
>> Markets generally only act on wants, this issue is more about needs.
>>
>> The problem here is that the people who would most benefit from this sort of
>> feature are the least likely to be aware that they have a problem in the
>> first place.
>

> That sounds like a strawman argument, what people?  The topic of this

The people who currently learn their HTML, directly or indirectly, by
using view source to copy how others have done it (and without complete
understanding of what they have copied).  I'd suggest that represents a
large proportion of those authors who will benefit from the policy that
invalid HTML5 must be "interoperable" (produce the same result, which
does not involve generating error messages).

> thread basically boils down to this.  Is it within the realm of a
> document specification to impose rules on a user agent beyond the
> scope of the document definition.

I don't know if you are coming at this from the HTML5 or SVG side.  From
the HTML5 side, the browser developers already have a lot imposed on
them, because of the requirement that even invalid documents should
reproduce essentially identically on all browsers.  If you are from the
SVG side, you may not quite realise that this whole thread is about
extending that to SVG as well.

Note that a reasonable qualification would be that the requirement only
applied if the browser provided some sort of source display capability.

--
David Woolley