XMLHttpRequest and HTML5 URLs

On Wed, 18 Mar 2009 16:00:53 +0100, Julian Reschke <julian.reschke@gmx.de>
wrote:
> Anne van Kesteren wrote:
>> On Wed, 18 Mar 2009 15:44:42 +0100, Julian Reschke
>> <julian.reschke@gmx.de> wrote:
>>> Are you sure XMLHttpRequest needs the same handling?
>>>
>>> I recall testing with (non-URI) IRIs some time ago, and they were
>>> simply not supported.
>>
>> If you have new [information] feel free to post to
>> public-webapps@w3.org. My recollection is that only Internet Explorer
>> did not support them. Also, HTML5 URL handling is needed for things
>> such as spaces and other characters which are not handled by the IRI
>> and URI specifications.
>
> Hm, no, it's not. It would be perfectly ok to state that URLs are URLs,
> and not anything else.

I don't follow. (E.g. I've no idea what you mean by stating that URLs are
URLs.)

We want to support the following scenarios

   client.open("GET", "x x")
   client.open("GET", "ë")

as the majority of clients today handle them. As far as I know that
requires HTML5 URL handling. That Internet Explorer does not handle the
second case currently is no reason not to make it work going forward,
especially since everyone else already does support it.

--
Anne van Kesteren
http://annevankesteren.nl/