Re: View Source (was: SVG Feedback on HTML5 SVG Proposal)

On Mon, Mar 16, 2009 at 8:51 PM, Jeff Schiller <codedread@gmail.com> wrote:
> On 3/16/09, Doug Schepers <schepers@w3.org> wrote:
> HTML WG members have stated that they will not put any UI requirements
> in HTML and leave them as *should* statements or recommendations or
> whatever because it might not make sense for every UA... I personally
> think your conditional requirement is fine.  In the end, browser
> vendors are free to implement whatever parts of the spec though, so
> even if it was a conditional requirement, some browsers might just
> ignore it.

I totally agree with the sentiment that the spec should not dictate UI
requirements.  And while this seems like a good suggestion, I don't
think it is within the bounds of a spec to start dictating what
features a user agent should have outside of how to process, display
(if it is a viewer) or interact with the markup described therein.

Is there not enough to worry about trying to nail down these
complicated specs without dictating what bonus features user agents
should have?

Try filing feature requests.  If someone implements it, and it turns
out to be as good a thing as it seems, other UA's will follow.

--
Cheers!
Rick