Re: [whatwg] <time>

Smylers 2009-03-16 22.03:
> Tom Duhamel writes:

> Hi Tom.  I'd like you to clarify an aspect of your proposal:
>
>> <time>2009-03-16</time>
>> Printing directly on the page, no tool tip: "March 16, 2009"

W3C Internationalization allready have a FAQ comment regarding the
behaviour that Tom proposes here [1]:

"Some have advocated the creation of a <date> tag that would
display dates according the locale of the user agent. This is
subject to the same practical issues as described for dynamic date
generation with the Japanese example. The appropriate format is
generally a function of the linguistic context of a page, rather
than the user's platform."

The "Japanese example" (which discusses using HTTP accept-language
negotiation):

"* A Japanese person reading the generated date 03/04/02 in an
English document might mistakenly assume that this used an English
ordering.
*  Displaying a generated date in a Japanese date format such as
2003年4月2日 in an English page would probably look out of
place."

Thus, in a way, such a proposal works against the advice to insert
dates using ISO. I don't think we want it. (It looks funnily
enough when e.g. an English Web site suddenly displays parts of
the pages in Norwegian only because content negotations works "too
well".

[1] http://www.w3.org/International/questions/qa-date-format#bytheway
--
leif halvard silli