Re: Script in SVG vs. HTML (was: Input on the agenda)

On Mar 10, 2009, at 23:27 , Jonas Sicking wrote:
> This is amazing news. It would be great if authors didn't have to use
> different rules for composing <script>s inside the SVG parts vs. the
> HTML parts of a single document.

Agreed.

> 1.
> xlink:href vs. src. SVG-script uses xlink:href to link to an external
> stylesheet, vs HTML-script uses null:src. I think the best solution
> here would be to allow SVG-script to allow either xlink:href *or* src.
> We'd have to specify what to do if both are defined, I suggest we
> choose one to take priority, probably xlink:href.

No, priority should go to the newer feature as it's what is supposed
to matter going forward, in this case src. If a user has added an src
attribute, presumably she knows what she's doing.

I agree with Cameron that we want to drop this as an animated value,
there really isn't a valid use case for it (besides, the very idea of
a processing model for modifying script through SMIL is insane).

> A bigger problem is likely to be people copying from HTML to XML-SVG.

That is no different from people copying HTML into XHTML — it just
might break. As you say there are contrived cases in which it would
parse but cause other failures, but I don't think that this is a
blocking issue. For one, what we gain here is much more valuable than
the sum total of those few bugs. Also, unleashing SVG support in a
bunch of new user agents will cause issues with existing content
anyway, of which this specific issue is unlikely to represent even a
major section.

In general I think there's a level of breakage that can be dealt with
by the community. Some things that worked in ASV will break, but I'm
pretty sure that the community will be happy to trade a reasonable
level of breakage for better penetration. The SVG IG could also
publish a document explaining the things that content authors have to
pay attention to.

--
Robin Berjon - http://berjon.com/