Re: [whatwg] <time>

On Wed, Mar 11, 2009 at 6:54 PM, Robert J Burns <rob@robburns.com> wrote:
> The more and more I read this thread the more I feel that trying to shoehorn
> Gregorian dates into this in all circumstances is going to needlessly
> complicate things for everyone involved: users, authors and implementors
> alike. For very limited use cases such Gregorian dates might be acceptable

Conversely, I am anticipating this element being hugely useful in
marking up the mass of dates/times we publish daily ... receipt
numbers, event listings and bookings, recent/current news, job
listings, closing dates, etc. It's also going to assist with solving
the contention around hCalendar's use of abbr by providing a viable
alternative. At least, for events within the gregorian calendar, as
noted.
At any rate, I don't think these are 'limited' use cases... imho, it
is of huge benefit. I hope the time element remains simple and easy to
author.

> but for historical documents, encyclopedias, geological, astronomical and
> all sorts of other disciplinary documents, it just is insufficient.

I agree time, as currently specified, is insufficient. Lots of options
with metadata (dublin core, RDF, and all that) but that's not directly
relevant to time markup.

cheers
Ben