Re: SVG Feedback on HTML5 SVG Proposal

On Tue, Mar 10, 2009 at 4:48 PM, Ian Hickson <ian@hixie.ch> wrote:
> On Tue, 10 Mar 2009, Doug Schepers wrote:
>> * The HTML5 draft defines a set of tags names for which the parser
>> should break out of foreign content mode. The SVG WG would like to know
>> the rationale for doing so for each of these tags.
>
> The tags listed were found to be tags that currently exist in Web content
> that has <svg> start tags. (It turns out there's quite a few pages out
> there that have <svg> tags in them, for no apparent reason. The goal with
> this list is to avoid breaking these pages too much.)

What quantity of content are we talking about here. From what I
understand this list is in part based on experience from Opera in
experiments with deploying SVG support in text/html, is this correct?

With developing Firefox I have found that it is a lot easier to
"break" pages if there is a spec we can point at showing that what we
are doing is according to spec. Though this applies mostly to newly
created pages that are still being maintained. *possibly* this is the
case with pages that include random <svg> tags.

So in other words, I think it would be worth trying to fight with a
few developers whos pages we break, if we can significantly improve
the spec by making it cleaner.

/ Jonas