Re: [html5] self-sufficient documents and data URI scheme

Boris Zbarsky wrote:
> Andrew Fedoniouk wrote:
>>  From the UA implementation perspective support of this is very
>> simple:  before issuing download request for the data
>> it should lookup first for CIDs of blocks that look like: <script
>> type="text/base64" cid="images/red-dot.png"> and
>> if it was found simply use it.
>>
>> Such self-contained documents are convenient for the cases when HTML
>> used as a document format
>> of files stored on local storages for personal use. It also can be
>> useful in e-mails.
>
> What's the benefit over the existing MHTML format?
>
> -Boris

I assume that "MHTML" means MIME envelope (mime-message serialized to a
file).

In principle mime cannot be used (or is not convenient) for publishing
on the Web as it does not
support incremental (stream alike) output - you need to have all parts
upfront to produce valid boundary separators.
And incremental parsing/rendering is also questionable - you need to
parse it up to the end in order
to get the whole assembly that you can really use.

But the main thing about it is that it is not an HTML.  It could have
many things inside
and it is not clear what really you want from it to be presented in the
UA: plain text, html or some image.
E.g. if it has multiple html documents inside - which one to choose?, etc.
And in general: why do you need MIME to deal with HTML?  HTML already
allows to integrate
styles, scripts, xml and layout per se. For some reasons images are
excluded from this list.
Set is not complete "perfectionally" speaking.

--
Andrew Fedoniouk.

http://terrainformatica.com