Re: @rel syntax in RDFa (relevant to ISSUE-60 discussion), was: Using XMLNS in link/@rel

Yes, absolutely; users will cherry-pick features from different
versions of HTML to suit their desires, and plant them into whatever
version of the format they like / their CMS supports / is the latest
fashion. They'll expect browsers to seamlessly handle this.

This only underlines the importance making the syntax and
disambiguation of @rel compatible among the different versions of
HTML; that would serve these users well. Using a different version
attribute is not an excuse to throw backwards compatibility out of the
window, and it's not like RDFa is an old specification, so ignorance
of the issues surrounding versioning and compatibility can't be claimed.

It certainly doesn't justify putting the subset of users who want to
do the right thing and have valid, unambiguous markup into a place
where they can't, because the features they need are spread out among
those incompatible versions of HTML. Not every consumer of HTML is a
browser.

> Users who are attracted to RDFa today are likely to have been
> influenced either directly or indirectly by Zeldman and his
> brethren.  They include an XHTML DOCTYPE and try to be careful about
> quotes.  The few that actually read specs will see that XHTML 1.0
> Transitional allows the use of the text/html MIME type.

Sorry, RDFa just became mainstream, when the Creative Commons started
showing people how to use it by example. Speaking of attraction, I'm
very much reminded of the US legal concept of an attractive nuisance
here. Anyway...

 From where I'm sitting, RDFa should not have gone out the door as it
is, and because it did we have some damage to contain. Likely it's not
too bad, owing to the bad state of @rel in HTML anyway, but it has
effectively created one more thing to sniff in HTML -- "what rel
convention is in use here?" -- with all of the ambiguity and issues
that entails.

So, I have a fair idea of what I'm going to write in the next Link
draft now (see recent messages to Ben for a rough idea). What I really
want to know -- and this is why the TAG is still on the CC list here
-- is what's going to be done to prevent this from happening the next
time.

Cheers,

P.S. Sam, I'm confused; you've brought up whitehouse.gov in this
context a few times, but AFAICT they don't serve RDFa on their front
page. Yes, they're serving XHTML with a text/html media type, but
that's very wide and understood practice. Please explain?