Re: Draft text for summary attribute definition

From: Leif Halvard Silli <lhs@malform.no>
Date: Sun, 01 Mar 2009 06:54:38 +0100
To: Robert J Burns <rob@robburns.com>
CC: Gez Lemon <gez.lemon@gmail.com>, HTMLWG WG <public-html@w3.org>, Steven Faulkner <faulkner.steve@gmail.com>, W3C WAI-XTECH <wai-xtech@w3.org>, Janina Sajka <janina@rednote.net>, Sam Ruby <rubys@intertwingly.net>
Leif Halvard Silli 2009-03-01 06.39:
> Robert J Burns 2009-03-01 05.33:
>> On Feb 28, 2009, at 10:35 PM, Leif Halvard Silli wrote:
>>> Gez Lemon 2009-03-01 02.45:
>
>>>     <caption summary="Summary text."></caption>

    [...]
> And, if one is running the table through some acessibilty checker which
> tells the author to add a caption@summary, the author might in the same
> go be reminded about adding caption conten as well.
>
> (And likewise, if one has added a caption, and the checker asks for a
> summary, then I think many will find it naturally to add it to the
> caption@summary.)  [...]

This is also related to how sighted persons perceive a table. We
perceive it as a collections of cells, in different relationships.
To us there is one "cell" - or place - that relates to all the
cells, and that is the caption. To add a summary for the table
container becomes a little bit ... abstract.
--
leif halvard silli