Re: comments on draft-barth-mime-sniffing

On Tue, 30 Jun 2009, Boris Zbarsky wrote:
> Ian Hickson wrote:
> > > Per the current rules that would give the same result as a bogus media
> > > type though. I.e. lack of Content-Type does not give you the right to
> > > start sniffing for <video> / <audio>.
> >
> > This doesn't appear to be the case with the way the spec is phrased now. Can
> > you confirm that this problem is now fixed?
>
> I would be glad to, if I could find the right things to read.  The HTML5 draft
> has MIME sniffing removed and replaced with the [MIMESNIFF] reference (not
> defined anywhere that I can see).

The MIME sniffing section should hopefully be irrelevant in this case;
does the video section refer to it somehow? If so I should fix that.

> Or is the relevant text somewhere in the
> http://www.whatwg.org/specs/web-apps/current-work/multipage/video.html#concept-media-load-resource
> section?

That is the relevant algorith, yes; specifically the second and third
cases in the first set of cases in the list in step 3.