Re: Does anyone like microdata?

Maciej Stachowiak wrote:

> On Jun 29, 2009, at 1:26 PM, Shelley Powers wrote:
>
>> On Mon, Jun 29, 2009 at 2:59 PM, Maciej Stachowiak<mjs@apple.com
>> <mailto:mjs@apple.com>> wrote:
>>>
>>> For the record, besides the on-list testimonials, I've received some
>>> off-list feedback indicating there are some others who like
>>> microdata but
>>> would rather not say so directly on the list.
>>>
>>> Overall, it seems like microdata has an audience of positive
>>> advocates, even
>>> though various people have reasons to dislike it.
>>
>> I beg your pardon, Maciej, but all you asked for in the original email
>> was to hear from people who liked the microdata section.
>
> I apologize if my statement above was unclear. Let me clarify:
>
> 1) It seemed like it might be the case, before my original request for
> feedback, that literally no people liked microdata. Ian claimed not to
> like it, and a number of people have spoken vocally against it. If
> this were true, it would mean we should probably just remove the
> microdata section, if there wasn't anyone who found it better than
> nothing.
>
> 2) Given the response to my request, it seems like there are some
> people who actively like microdata, so my original hypothesis was
> wrong. I chimed in to report that conclusion.
>
> 3) Saying there are some people who like it does not in any way deny
> that there are people who hate it, or disagree with it, or are
> indifferent. It is not a conclusion that there is consensus or even a
> majority in favor.

Thank you for the clarification, Maciej. That makes a lot more sense. I
was concerned that your assessment of positive support could be
conflated to mean consensus support.

I still think a debate on whether to keep the section or not is overdue,
but we've been focusing on other areas. However, it is a large chunk of
an even larger spec, so perhaps we shouldn't put off the debate any
longer. I had planned on filing a formal objection to the section,
because it was added to the spec, first, without any debate.

>> As for people who do not respond on the list, their opinions are
>> irrelevant. Either people publicly commit their likes, or they go
>> uncounted. That is fair and appropriate, do you not agree?
>
> I got the off-list feedback before people chimed in on the list. I was
> hesitant to even report it, because support for microdata isn't worth
> much, if no one is willing to stand behind that view. However, now
> that a number of people have stood behind it publicly, it seemed
> useful to report that extra data point. Members of the Working Group
> may put as much or as little stock in this information as they care to.

That makes more sense, but perhaps you can encourage the folks to
express their reasons why they support the section directly in an email
to the group. That way we can all put our cards on the table at once.

Shelley