Re: Advice about framesets

From: Michael(tm) Smith <mike@w3.org>
Date: Thu, 25 Jun 2009 18:57:11 +0900
To: Simon Pieters <simonp@opera.com>
Cc: "public-html@w3.org" <public-html@w3.org>
Simon Pieters <simonp@opera.com>, 2009-06-25 11:43 +0200:

>  On Thu, 25 Jun 2009 06:10:09 +0200, Michael(tm) Smith <mike@w3.org> wrote:
>
> > Simon Pieters <simonp@opera.com>, 2009-06-24 20:34 +0200:
> >
> >>        Use iframe and CSS instead.
> >>
> >> http://www.whatwg.org/specs/web-apps/current-work/multipage/obsolete-features.html#obsolete-features
> >>
> >>  I think for most authors who currently use frameset, it
> >>  seems better to move to a server-side solution.
> >
> > What kind of server-side solution?
>
>  e.g. Apache SSI or PHP include().
>
> > Or what specific text would you suggest having there instead
> > (and/or having validators output as advice to users whose
> > documents contain frameset)?
>
>  Use Server-Side Includes (or similar) or use iframe and CSS instead.

OK, yeah, I see what you're saying and agree it would be good to
also add advisory text about using some type of server-side
include mechanism instead.

I suppose a validator could actually make the "server-side
include" part of the advice into a hyperlink to a Wikipedia
article or something on that topic.

  --Mike

--
Michael(tm) Smith