Re: Why I don't attend the weekly teleconference (Was: Input on the agenda)

From: Matthew Ratzloff <matt@builtfromsource.com>
Date: Wed, 24 Jun 2009 12:50:07 -0700
To: public-html@w3.org
On Tue, Jun 23, 2009 at 5:03 PM, Shelley Powers <shelley.just@gmail.com>
 wrote:

> On Tue, Jun 23, 2009 at 4:44 PM, Ian Hickson <ian@hixie.ch> wrote:

> On Tue, 23 Jun 2009, Shelley Powers wrote:

>> OK, I hereby volunteer to be the editor of the specification related to

>> HTML Tables, and to the part of the specification supposedly addressing

>> issues of semantic metadata.

>> I'm serious -- where do I sign up, and when can I get editing rights?

>You already have editing rights. Just start writing. You don't have to ask

>anyone's permission.

Unlike you and Sam, I'm not paid to waste my time writing material
> that I know will be rejected.
>
> While you're a gatekeeper I won't play the gam. I will spend my time
> writing, but it will be in the nature of formal objections, which
> cannot be ignored.

As an outsider, I'm sure I don't understand the nuanced politics at work in
this conversation.  But this is how it reads:

Shelley: I want to be an editor.  Where do I sign up?
Ian: You don't have to sign up.  Just start writing.
Shelley: The hell I will!  I won't let you trick me into becoming an editor!
Ian: ...

-Matt