Re: Request to Strengthen the HTML5 Accessibility Design Principle

From: William Loughborough <wloughborough@gmail.com>
Date: Wed, 24 Jun 2009 14:10:06 +0200
To: Laura Carlson <laura.lee.carlson@gmail.com>
Cc: Steven Faulkner <faulkner.steve@gmail.com>, HTML WG <public-html@w3.org>, Sam Ruby <rubys@intertwingly.net>, Chris Wilson <Chris.Wilson@microsoft.com>, Maciej Stachowiak <mjs@apple.com>, Anne van Kesteren <annevk@opera.com>, Catherine Roy <ecrire@catherine-roy.net>, Gez Lemon <gez.lemon@gmail.com>, Leif Halvard Silli <lhs@malform.no>, Philip TAYLOR <p.taylor@rhul.ac.uk>, Robert J Burns <rob@robburns.com>, Roger Johansson <roger@456bereastreet.com>, W3C WAI-XTECH <wai-xtech@w3.org>
I had originally "taken the overs on ten years" (been willing to bet that it
will be longer than a decade) for this "war" to subside enough to make HTML
5 even remotely likely to become a Recommendation. After reading these
diatribes disguised as conciliatory responses, I will take the overs on 15
years!

In a "corridor conference" at TPAC I suggested dumping the whole effort and
starting over, perhaps with HTML 4.X but everybody there took it as a dumb
joke. I was serious and it would still be the best thing to do.

A flame war by any other name is still an inordinate waste of time/talent
and the whole "process" has become unbecoming to W3C.

Love.