Re: Request to Strengthen the HTML5 Accessibility Design Principle

From: Ian Hickson <ian@hixie.ch>
Date: Wed, 24 Jun 2009 11:07:59 +0000 (UTC)
To: Sam Ruby <rubys@intertwingly.net>
Cc: Laura Carlson <laura.lee.carlson@gmail.com>, HTML WG <public-html@w3.org>, Chris Wilson <Chris.Wilson@microsoft.com>, Maciej Stachowiak <mjs@apple.com>, Anne van Kesteren <annevk@opera.com>, Catherine Roy <ecrire@catherine-roy.net>, Gez Lemon <gez.lemon@gmail.com>, Leif Halvard Silli <lhs@malform.no>, Philip TAYLOR <p.taylor@rhul.ac.uk>, Robert J Burns <rob@robburns.com>, Roger Johansson <roger@456bereastreet.com>, W3C WAI-XTECH <wai-xtech@w3.org>
On Wed, 24 Jun 2009, Sam Ruby wrote:

> > I presume, from your e-mail, that you do not consider this to be
> > debate:
> >
> >    http://lists.w3.org/Archives/Public/public-html/2009Jun/0173.html
> >
> > Could you elaborate on why?
>
> I believe that the following:
>
> |  > *	We need summary for backward compatibility.
> |
> |  HTML5 supports implementing the summary="" attribute for backwards
> |  compatibility as currently written.
>
> ... is an example of what Laura describes as "selectively choosing those
> points in a subject which happen to favor a position, while ignoring the
> rest".

What were the points that were ignored here?

> Another, more recent, example is "The browser vendors are the ultimate
> gatekeepers, of course".

What points does this ignore? I don't understand.

(I've filed the remainder of your e-mail with other summary feedback; I'd
like to focus on trying to understand exactly what I'm doing wrong before
responding, since there's no point we responding if the way I do so is
wrong.)