Re: Why I don't attend the weekly teleconference (Was: Input on the agenda)

From: Ian Hickson <ian@hixie.ch>
Date: Wed, 24 Jun 2009 00:20:11 +0000 (UTC)
To: Shelley Powers <shelley.just@gmail.com>
Cc: public-html@w3.org
On Tue, 23 Jun 2009, Shelley Powers wrote:

> Unlike you and Sam, I'm not paid to waste my time writing material that
> I know will be rejected.
>
> While you're a gatekeeper I won't play the game.

I'm not gatekeeper. I'm just another editor. The chairs are the ones with
the authority to declare consensus, which decides what gets published. I
certainly have no power to reject another draft.

(The browser vendors are the ultimate gatekeepers, of course, in that they
get to decide what actually gets implemented. It's our role as editors to
make sure we do what they want, otherwise our documents are nothing but
rather dry science fiction.)