Re: <video> toggling video rendering

From: Simon Pieters <simonp@opera.com>
Date: Tue, 23 Jun 2009 11:20:47 +0200
To: "Michael A. Puls II" <shadow2531@gmail.com>, public-html@w3.org
On Tue, 23 Jun 2009 04:25:29 +0200, Michael A. Puls II
<shadow2531@gmail.com> wrote:

> If you load <video> on some site and just want to hear the audio,

Seems like an uncommon request. Does any media player support this?

> is there a way to turn off the video output so you can save some cpu and
> just listen to the audio?

You can hide the <video> in a number of ways or use <audio>, and then the
browser can optimize away the video decoding.

> If not, I think that would be totally awesome if you could do that (wish
> youtube and all the other video sites did that).
>
> Something like video.toggleVideoOutput() so the site can provide a
> button.

The page can set video.hidden to do this.

> Also, have the functionality present in the browser-provided controls.

I guess the browser is free to provide this functionality in the UI.

--
Simon Pieters
Opera Software