Re: accesskey feedback

From: Simon Pieters <simonp@opera.com>
Date: Mon, 22 Jun 2009 07:58:47 +0200
To: "Olivier GENDRIN" <olivier.gendrin@gmail.com>
Cc: "public-html@w3.org" <public-html@w3.org>
On Fri, 19 Jun 2009 14:39:01 +0200, Olivier GENDRIN
<olivier.gendrin@gmail.com> wrote:

>> A UA might want to change an element's access key in the following
>> situation:
>>
>>   <input accesskey=a> (no "a" key available, let's assign "1" instead)
>>   later in the document:
>>   <input accesskey=1> (oops, let's reassign the previous one to "2")

> I agree with the idea you have in mind, but I think it's
> counter-productive on some websites. Those website that uses
> accesskeys have pages devoted to the accessibility mechanisms
> available on the website [1], where they give the list of the
> accesskeys. If the UA changes the accesskeys, theses pages become
> false.

On a device that does not have an "a" key, a web page that tells you to
press the "a" key is not helpful.

Such a page should instead use the new .accessKeyLabel attribute to show
which key combination the browser has chosen.

--
Simon Pieters
Opera Software