Re: "Outline" algorithm (document length and complexity)

On Sat, Jun 20, 2009 at 4:18 PM, Larry Masinter<masinter@adobe.com> wrote:
> (I ran out of time before vacation to reply to previous threads,
> and have a lot of backlog, alas)
>
> I don't think there has been a satisfactory reply to the
> question about section 4.1.11.1 "Creating an outline".
>
> Text is either normative (something that HTML agents must
> implement) or informative (explanatory information that
> helps understand the rest of the spec) or else an
> auxiliary specification of some optional processing.
>
> There appears to be only one reference anywhere in
> the rest of the document to Section 4.1.11.1 or to the
> word "outline" -- unless I've missed something somewhere?
>
> The reference in section 4.8.1 which only requires knowing
> whether an image is associated with an heading, which
> surely can be described more simply.
>
> If there are no (other) normative requirements, how can
> conformance be judged?

Isn't it simply describing the semantic meaning of some of the tags in
the spec? Compare to how section 4.6.4 says:

The em element represents stress emphasis of its contents.

All of your questions seem to apply equally to that sentence.

The outline algorithm describes the semantic meaning of various header
elements in that it describes what parts of the document each header,
or set of headers, covers.

Does that answer your question?

/ Jonas