Re: MIME type for WAVE with PCM?

From: Anne van Kesteren <annevk@opera.com>
Date: Wed, 17 Jun 2009 09:20:36 +0200
To: robert@ocallahan.org
Cc: "David Singer" <singer@apple.com>, "Simon Pieters" <simonp@opera.com>, public-html@w3.org
On Wed, 17 Jun 2009 03:59:24 +0200, Robert O'Callahan <robert@ocallahan.org> wrote:
> On Wed, Jun 17, 2009 at 7:21 AM, Anne van Kesteren <annevk@opera.com>
> wrote:
>> I sort of get the feeling that defining our own magic list of codec
>> keywords that map to existing formats would have been easier :/ (Also
>> for
>> authors.)
>
> You mean easier than using a number? Possibly, although there are at
> least 104 Wave codecs (!).

Ouch.

> But we can still do that, and support both names and numbers in the
> future, if someone's motivated enough to make up a keyword list.

I just meant that since the media type plus codecs parameter is not quite stable yet and also complicated maybe it would've been more worth it to just have a magic list of keywords for the configurations browsers support. However, if there are already at least 104 WAVE codecs that might get a bit unwieldy.

--
Anne van Kesteren
http://annevankesteren.nl/