Re: comments on draft-barth-mime-sniffing

Anne van Kesteren wrote:
> On Tue, 16 Jun 2009 17:25:43 +0200, Jamie Lokier <jamie@shareable.org> wrote:
> > Simon Pieters wrote:
> >>
> >> If a UA does not know what is not supported, is it reasonable to
> >> consider anything that is not video/* or audio/* to be not supported?
> >
> > For video, content negotiation is probably going to end up being done
> > in Javascript rather than HTTP, or by User-Agent recognition.
>
> Still, if the user agent does a request, should it abort the request
> if the media type of the response is not video/* or audio/*?

I'm thinking if the response is an animated GIF, of type image/gif,
why forbid a <video> element from being allowed to play it as a video.

I'm also thinking, why forbid other image/* types from being played as
static videos.  After all, sometimes single-frame video/* files (such
as an MPEG single I-Frame) are sometimes created for this purpose on
real video players.  It would seem odd to allow the display of
single-frame video files, but forbid image/* files from behaving
exactly the same way.

-- Jamie