Re: On validation

Henri Sivonen wrote:
> On Jun 13, 2009, at 00:08, John Foliot wrote:
>
>> Which brings *me* back to my ongoing question: why should we care about
>> validity (conformance)?
>
> You should care about running a validator, because it points out
> mistakes you didn't intend to make and, thus, helps you find mistakes
> that would otherwise be slower (i.e. more expensive) to spot.

I operate a validator for another (and related) specification, so I
definitely know where you are coming from, but taking a look at this:

http://html5.validator.nu/?doc=http%3A%2F%2Fwww.google.com%2F

Noting that the last six errors relate to the font element, let me ask:
how does this help "you find mistakes that would otherwise be slower
(i.e. more expensive) to spot"?

Note: I am intentionally *not* asking about @gbcolor, @text, @link,
@vlink, @alink, @topmargin, @marginheight, nobr, u, @width, center,
@clear, @cellpadding, @cellspacing, @valign, @align, @nowrap or naked