Re: <font color="blue"> (was ISSUE-32)

On Sun, Jun 14, 2009 at 4:31 AM, Sam Ruby<rubys@intertwingly.net> wrote:
> Rob Sayre wrote:

>>> Are there MUSTs in the current spec that the Mozilla foundation is
>>> unlikely to ever implement?  Can they be identified specifically?
>>
>> Yes, most of the authoring requirements are meaningless or at least
>> pointless. I hope you can forgive me for failing to produce an exhaustive
>> list, but the subject of this message is a good example.
>
> Just to be clear: the subject of this messages is an example of something
> that absolutely prevent one or more products that aspires to be HTML 5
> conformant from ever being so?  Do I have this correct?  Do others at
> Mozilla agree?

While I think it's an interesting idea, I'm not convinced it's
practical. I certainly agree that author conformance is a very weak
concept, and that most authors are not going to care if leave the spec
the way it is, or if we leave it up to the community to create some
sort of lint too, or if we say nothing about what is conformant and
what is not.

But I'm actually more worried about how the standards community would
cope. Though it's entirely possible to it'd cope better than it does
now (avoiding rat-hole about what should be valid and what shouldn't).

Another problem that we'd have to solve is what recommendations to
give to authoring tools. Right now we can tell them to output
conforming documents, but if that concept disappears we'd have to
replace it with something else.

/ Jonas