Re: <object> element - Global Attributes

On Sat, 13 Jun 2009 19:32:44 -0400, Ian Hickson <ian@hixie.ch> wrote:

> On Sat, 13 Jun 2009, Joe D Williams wrote:
>>
>> attribute @classid is listed in the sequence for "the user agent must
>> run the following steps to determine what the object element represents:
>> ... " but not in the listing of <object> element Global attributes or
>> DOM interfaces.
>
> Right, that's intentional. It's not a conforming attribute, you're not
> supposed to use it, but we have to define what happens when someone does
> anyway.

Is there any news as to whether IE.next will map @type to @classid (and
then @data to the appropriate param) for plugins for <!DOCTYPE html> pages
so authors don't have to use IE conditional comments (where the markup in
them isn't checked by the validator) or invalid markup?

For some plugins, you can get things working in IE without @classid, but
not all. And, if IE still requires classid, it's going to be a pain still
to use <object> for plugins and support IE.

In other words, is the IE team O.K. with @classid being invalid, or is it
a showstopper?

@Chris?

--