RE: Section 1.6.1 relationship to HTML 4.01

On Sun, 31 May 2009, Larry Masinter wrote:

> The discussion on "Design Principles" brought up the "(from scratch)"
> topic, which led to discussion of Section 1.6.1, "Relationship to HTML
> 4.01 and DOM2 HTML". I think updating the introductory material now is
> useful, because it is important to reviewers trying to understand the
> document and its context.
>
> I think you asked for an explicit suggestion for new wording:
>
> OLD
>
> > 1.6.1 Relationship to HTML 4.01 and DOM2 HTML
>
> > This specification represents a new version of HTML4, along with a new version
> > of the associated DOM2 HTML API. Migration from HTML4 to the format and
> > APIs described in this specification should in most cases be straightforward,
> > as care has been taken to ensure that backwards-compatibility is
> >  retained. [HTML4] [DOM2HTML]
>
> NEW
>
> < 1.6.1 Relationship to HTML 4.01 and DOM2 HTML
>
> < This specification represents a new version of HTML, including its DOM2 API.
> < This specification is based on widespread implementations and experience
> < with HTML 4, but not the verbatim text of previous specifications[HTML4][DOM2HTML].
> < A separate document [HTMLDIFF] explains differences with HTML 4
> < in detail.  Migration to the format and APIs described in this specification
> <  should be straightforward, as backwards compatibility was a high priority.
>
> This does not claim to be a new version of HTML 4.01 and makes it clear
> that the text did not start with the HTML 4.01 document. It makes an
> explicit reference to the Differences document for details. It does not
> promise ("ensure") backwards compatibility but notes that it was a goal.
> If the working group continues work on Design Principles, a reference to
> [DESIGN] would be appropriate, for elaboration on the "backwards
> compatibility" principles would be useful.

I've tweaked the text a bit. I still haven't explicitly said "we didn't
start from the HTML4 text", because I really don't understand how that
matters or what it tells the reader, and I couldn't find a way to explain
why we didn't that didn't sound like inside baseball.

Let me know if you have any other suggestions, or if the new text is still
not satisfactory.