Re: Summary of Thursday's IRC conversation about @summary

James Graham On 09-06-11 15.58:
> Leif Halvard Silli wrote:
>> Leif Halvard Silli On 09-06-10 17.29:
>>> James Graham On 09-06-10 17.12:

>> The draft already specifies that UAs must accept "taint" inside
>> <summary> element becomes possible even in Webkit and Firefox.
>
> I'm not sure I understand. Table taining is about where whitespace gets
> inserted when the current element in a parser is a <table> element (i.e.
> whether it is inserted into the <table> or into the foster parent). I
> don't see how the presence or absence of table taint has any bearing on
> <summary>.

It is correct that I don't understand why the fact that the DOM of
  both WebKit and Firefox kicks foreign elements and foreign text
  out of the <table> container isn't seen as part of the table
tainting problem. Or why one should try to solve tainting without
also solve the other problem.

Henri's first example in that thread[1],

	<!doctype html>x<table> x </table>

does in Firefox result in the word "xx" outside the table plus
whitespace inside the table. In Webkit, the result is two words,
"x x". And so on. This is result of different whitespace
treatment, OK. But first and foremost is it a result of the fact
that they both kick illegal stuff out of <table>.

Opera and IE has the same way of doing table tainting. But then,
they also do not kick illegal stuff out of the table DOM.

If Firefox and Webkit could get the same behaviour as Opera and IE
w.r.t. illegal stuff inside <table>, then they would probably also
solve much of the tainting problem for free.

[1] http://lists.w3.org/Archives/Public/public-html/2009Feb/0635
--
leif halvard silli