Re: Disambiguating @summary from a long descriptor

From: Joshue O Connor <joshue.oconnor@cfit.ie>
Date: Thu, 11 Jun 2009 09:29:41 +0100
To: Boris Zbarsky <bzbarsky@MIT.EDU>
Cc: HTML WG <public-html@w3.org>, Gez Lemon <gez.lemon@gmail.com>, Steve Faulkner <sfaulkner@paciellogroup.com>, "Gregory J. Rosmaita" <oedipus@hicom.net>, W3C WAI-XTECH <wai-xtech@w3.org>, www-archive <www-archive@w3.org>, Janina Sajka <janina@rednote.net>, Sam Ruby <rubys@intertwingly.net>, Ian Hickson <ian@hixie.ch>
Boris Zbarsky wrote:
> Joshue O Connor wrote:
>> 4) Finally it should be appraised just for what it is - a mechanism for
>> describing the relationships between data cells in complex tables that
>> is useful for blind and VIP and we need to explicitly keep it as such.
>
> One issue here, from my point of view, is that the attribute name is a
> serious mismatch for that function.... which leads to major author
> confusion as to what should go in this attribute.

Yes, I agree.

> Would it make sense to add a datastructure attribute (or some other more
> suitable name), require UAs to look for the relationships between data
> cells in that attribute and then in @summary in that order, and make use
> of @summary a validator warning or some such?  And make sure that the
> spec has some examples of tables and corresponding @datastructure values.

It may be best to leave it as it is (in particular to support backwards
compatibility) and start raising awareness of @summary soley as a
descriptor for data cell relationships. Dropping the word "Purpose" from
the original HTML4 DTD would help. [1]

Cheers

Josh

[1] http://www.w3.org/TR/html4/struct/tables.html#adef-summary