RE: Disambiguating @summary from a long descriptor

From: John Foliot <jfoliot@stanford.edu>
Date: Wed, 10 Jun 2009 10:07:08 -0700 (PDT)
To: "'Boris Zbarsky'" <bzbarsky@MIT.EDU>
Cc: <joshue.oconnor@cfit.ie>, "'HTML WG'" <public-html@w3.org>, "'Gez Lemon'" <gez.lemon@gmail.com>, "'Steve Faulkner'" <sfaulkner@paciellogroup.com>, "'Gregory J. Rosmaita'" <oedipus@hicom.net>, "'W3C WAI-XTECH'" <wai-xtech@w3.org>, "'www-archive'" <www-archive@w3.org>, "'Janina Sajka'" <janina@rednote.net>, "'Sam Ruby'" <rubys@intertwingly.net>, "'Ian Hickson'" <ian@hixie.ch>
Boris Zbarsky wrote:

> John Foliot wrote:
> > It is becoming increasingly clear that, as Josh O'Connor wrote [1],
there
> > needs to be a disambiguation of @summary, and clear, precise guidance
on
> > its usage, which evidence is showing was clearly lacking in HTML4
(i.e.
> > better "specify that technology").  However I seriously question
> > jettisoning @summary for @datastructure simply to address existing
holes
> > in usage and intent of @summary.
>
> I didn't suggest "jettisoning".  See above, and in particular the quoted
> part of my post.  I'm suggesting having @summary work exactly as it does
> now in UAs and maybe adding a less-misuse-prone attribute that we
> recommend web developers use.  That's all operating on the assumption
> that we do in fact want to have an attribute for describing the data
> relationships in a table.  I have no opinion as to whether we do.

Boris,

If it appeared that I was suggesting that _you_ proposed jettisoning
@summary that was not my intent and I apologize if it came off that way.

As it currently stands, HTML5 is proposing to abandon @summary, which is
under serious contention right now.  Your suggestion appears to me to be
very similar to the general thrust of the argument put forth by Charles
McCathieNevile [1], and fits with a model that I personally would be
comfortable with.

JF

[1] http://lists.w3.org/Archives/Public/public-html/2009Jun/0275.html