Re: getElementsByName should match any element

From: Simon Pieters <simonp@opera.com>
Date: Wed, 10 Jun 2009 12:40:00 +0200
To: "Boris Zbarsky" <bzbarsky@mit.edu>, "Ian Hickson" <ian@hixie.ch>
Cc: "public-html@w3.org" <public-html@w3.org>
On Wed, 10 Jun 2009 02:31:38 +0200, Boris Zbarsky <bzbarsky@mit.edu> wrote:

> Ian Hickson wrote:
>> What do other browser vendors want here? Should I not match IE?

Sadly it seems that Web compat requires either doing what Gecko does with
getElementsByName, or doing what IE does in other areas, in this case
exposing .name on divs. I don't have data on how widespread this issue is,
but it has caused us to change from spec-compliant to Gecko-compatible.

>>  (I definitely don't want to make it ignore the namespace. It's bad
>> enough that we're considering making APIs that encourage screwing up
>> HTML by sprinkling name="" attributes everywhere; we don't want to
>> screw up SVG and MathML as well.)
>
> I'd be fine with adding a namespace check here in Gecko.

Same here (for Opera).

--
Simon Pieters
Opera Software