Re: What makes a failure? (@summary, et al)

From: David Singer <singer@apple.com>
Date: Tue, 9 Jun 2009 13:33:10 -0700
To: "public-html@w3.org" <public-html@w3.org>
My guess is that we would say that something has *failed* when its
use on the web has become hopelessly polluted with incorrect usage,
such that those needing what it's intended for no longer look there
for their answer.  I think that was the situation described for
longdesc.

so, abuse is widespread and swamps usage -> failure.  we cannot soon
recover.  think again.

Something that is neither used nor misused is neither a success or
failure, in my opinion.

neither abusage nor usage -> not succeeding.  think about why we're
not getting traction.

plenty of usage and not too much abuse -> success!  go and celebrate!
(sigh, doesn't seem to happen often in accessibility)
--
David Singer
Multimedia Standards, Apple Inc.