Re: HTML 4.01 Strict table attributes and downplayed errors

On Jun 6, 2009, at 00:45, Ian Hickson wrote:

> On Fri, 1 May 2009, Henri Sivonen wrote:
>>
>> So if I want to have a relatively simple GUI table editor that can
>> read
>> back what it has written but doesn't allow arbitrary styling to avoid
>> breaking the consistent design of the site, I have to not only parse
>> style='' values but parse arbitrary CSS and resolve class selectors?
>>
>> My concern isn't authoring in a text editor.
>
> In a graphical editor all you would have to do is use unique class
> names
> (like com.example.numeric) and just ensure that those classes have the
> appropriate style in the style sheet.

Seriously? When there's already widely interoperable specific
attributes for this?

Considering the Design Principles, is using unique classes instead of
pre-existing interoperable specific attributes Solving a Real Problem?
How does your answer fare on the Priority of Constituencies principle
considering implementors and users vs. theoretical purity? What about
Degrading Gracefully considering that CSS is supposed to be optional
in theory? Also, isn't using unique class names Reinventing the Wheel
if the interoperably implemented existing attributes are the Wheel?

--
Henri Sivonen
hsivonen@iki.fi