RE: Firing media events early for throttled downloads

From: John Foliot <jfoliot@stanford.edu>
Date: Sat, 6 Jun 2009 11:51:56 -0700 (PDT)
To: "'Boris Zbarsky'" <bzbarsky@MIT.EDU>
Cc: "'public-html'" <public-html@w3.org>
Boris Zbarsky wrote:

> If you want to do this, and remove the autoplay attribute, you also
> need
> to remove or limit scripted control over playing the video; otherwise
> the removal of autoplay is just a symbolic gesture.  I assume we agree
> on that, right?

LOL, I never actually suggested removing autoplay pre-se, but *DID* suggest
that we not advocate it any documentation.  I acknowledge that there will be
both times and needs for this type of functionality, but further cautioned
that this functionality needs a very easy, visible ability to over-ride at
the end user level.

> How would people feel about this proposal:
>
> 1)  There is an autoplay attribute.
> 2)  The page can call play() on the video.
> 3)  Whether play() works (and whether autoplay does anything at all)
> can be subjected to the same sort of controls as window.open() is
> now.
>
> This would allow the UA to present the user with an adaptive
> experience,
> including whitelisting of sites where autoplay should be allowed,
> prompting when the page wants to play, etc.  As a personal example, I
> would want to whitelist a site like youtube for autoplay (if I'm there,
> I want to see the video).  I'd want to blacklist a site like
> money.yahoo.com for autoplay (because they have gratuitous videos that
> randomly start playing when you load the page, and are often below the
> fold).

White listing would certainly be one way of going forward (excellent feature
for UAs), but I am thinking that it needs to be slightly 'deeper' in the
mix - that the end user would/could start with a baseline setting of 'never'
(vs. always) - the potential for 'harm' is substantial enough that it needs
to be hard-wired in the UA (rather than a scripted setting - if I am
understanding your proposal fully).  Open to all suggestions however, and
this certainly seems viable.

JF