RE: Summary of Thursday's IRC conversation about @summary

From: John Foliot <jfoliot@stanford.edu>
Date: Fri, 5 Jun 2009 12:22:21 -0700 (PDT)
To: "'Shelley Powers'" <shelleyp@burningbird.net>, <public-html@w3.org>
Shelley Powers wrote:

> The other concern expressed in the IRC, rather emphatically, too, if one
> looks at the exclamation points, is the fact that we don't see
> widespread use of @summary after ten years! Half the web! (Those are
> more or less direct quotes from the discussion.)
>
> Of course, I'm not an accessibility expert, just an interested
> bystander, but I've noticed that--and this is unfortunate--changes in
> general behavior in order to provide support for a minority, in this
> case those with physical challenges, tends to happy very, very slowly.

It is also important to note that the PF-WG specifically wrote:

*	We reject the argument that summary should be removed from the
HTML
*	specification because it is not implemented on most web sites. We
note
*	that accessibility is poorly supported on most web sites. The
wider
*	web is not an example of good practice.

Time and time again, it appears that the HTML WG fail to embrace this
truism.

JF